Home For The Brave
Opened in 2012, Volunteers of America Delaware Valley’s Home for the Brave program is a 30 bed, low demand transitional housing program for single, male veterans. Eligible veterans may reside for up to two years at Home for the Brave while working on recovery, employment and independent living skills. Funded through the United States Department of Veterans Affairs’ Grant and Per Diem (VA GPD) program, Home for the Brave is the only low demand housing program for veterans in New Jersey. With a focus on harm reduction and trauma-informed care principles, the purpose of Home for the Brave is to provide supportive housing and supportive services to veterans experiencing homelessness with the goal of helping them to achieve residential stability, increase their skill levels and/or income, and obtain greater self-determination.
In partnership with a designated VA Liaison and other veterans’ service providers, Home for the Brave provides the following services to veterans residing in Home for the Brave:
- 24/7 access to on-site support staff
- connection to veteran and mainstream benefits and entitlements
- co-enrollment in our Department of Labor-funded Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program (HVRP) for job training and employment placement
- support in financial planning, budgeting, and tenant education
- assistance with healthcare enrollment and obtaining state identification
- referral to treatment programs for mental health, behavioral health, and substance use disorders
Eligibility: Must be determined a veteran who is eligible for VA medical benefits, and whose homelessness meets the HEARTH Definition of Homelessness. Veterans must also be assessed by Health Care for Homeless Veterans program staff at their local VA Medical Center, and have a substance use disorder or dependence.
Location: 271 Atlantic Avenue, Camden, New Jersey 08104
Contact: (856) 966-0909
Additional Questions about Home for the Brave?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org